Saturday, August 31, 2013

Recipes. And cooking in general.

So I married someone who went to culinary school. And I ruined him. I don't like anything, so he's been reduced to making tacos and hamburger helper. Sometimes I feel bad, but then I remember it means I don't have to eat tomatoes or mayo, and I get over it.

Now that he works 2nd shift, the kids are stuck with me in the kitchen. So let's see what they like..

Chris tells me his favorites that I cook are Pirate Stew (without the potatoes) and alfredo. For the stew.. cut up some potatoes, carrots and celery and toss them in a crock pot.. add some browned hamburger, water, a packet of onion soup mix, salt, pepper, and a couple teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce.. mix it up and set it for around 6 hours.. Then pick out the potatoes and feed it to your son.. hehe.. The alfredo is a no-brainer.. boil some noodles, add a can of chicken and a jar of alfredo sauce..

I have 3 meals that I could probably live on. Manacotti and cheese, pinwheels and chicken noodle casserole.  For the manacotti, I dump 2 containers of ricotta cheese in a giant bowl, add most of a bag of shredded mozzarella, a random amount of parmesan, mix, and stuff it into cooked manacotti noodles.. I cover it with spaghetti sauce and a little more mozzarella.. cover with foil and cook at 350 for 40ish minutes. Pinwheels I have been in love with since 6th grade at Pleasant Hill.. Fry some bologna until the sides curl up, top with mashed potatoes and melt a slice of cheese on it.. SO YUMMY. I want some now. Chicken noodle casserole is something I learned from Martha a zillion years ago. Boil noodles, add a can of cream of chicken soup, a can of chicken.. put it in a cake pan, top with shredded cheddar and cook at 350 for maybe a half hour.. but make sure you leave some of it without cheese, or Brenna won't eat it.

On to what Brenna enjoys. According to her text, she likes tuna and noodles, Tony's pizza, Stouffer's lasagna and garlic toast. I suppose that's some indication of my kitchen habits.. YAY frozen stuff! As for the tuna and noodles.. it's just that.. tuna and noodles, and a can of cream of something soup.

Something else Chris thinks is fun are what we call "pizza shells".. It's a tortilla with pizza sauce, pepperonis and mozzarella melted in it.

No.. We don't really eat healthy, per say.. But my kids like the good stuff as well.. broccoli, squash, fruit.. They will probably survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment