Monday, October 7, 2013

Discipline.

It's going to happen. Sometimes kids are naughty. I used to think it was due to some failure on my end, but it's just really not.

I found this story from when Brenna was Chris's age..

"I love that my daughter is old enough to be completely embarrassed by her mother. I have instilled the fear into her of showing up and walking into her school sporting my giant, silky, yellow jammie pants with the lemons all over them.

You wouldn't!!
Oh, wouldn't I?
I don't believe you.
Well then.. continue with the sassy talk, and take your chances.
Why can't you just spank me like a normal mom?"


Those jammie pants were the best $3 I ever spent. They had a lot of power.

Of course now that she's 16, things have changed. I brought up this story to her the other day in the car and she said something to the effect that it wouldn't bother her now because I'm totally weird, and her and her friends are used to it.

So I guess I have to work that magic while Chris is still young. Although it really does take a lot to embarrass him. I did win once when I told him if he didn't get dressed, I was going to make up a song about his penis, and sing it to his friends.

I'm not against spanking. I've done my share. But it always happens at the point where they are freaking out so bad that nothing else will get their attention. And yes, sometimes even teenagers need a thwap in the ear.

My parenting techniques aren't that outrageous, but I've been told sometimes they're a little "off"..

I like to let my kids experience consequences related to their actions. I do my part by specifically spelling out what these consequences will be, but ultimately the final decisions are in their hands. No, I don't let them do dangerous or hurtful things, but for most things I let them sink or swim on their own.

Chris insisted on ice cream for breakfast. I said no, and asked what his second choice was. He said there was nothing else in the world he wanted to eat. Just ice cream. I told him to pick something else, or he was just going to go to school hungry. He picked to not eat. He's gonna be a hungry boy by lunch time!

And it's not my fault. I suppose I could have spent the entire morning fighting with him, and begging for him to eat something.. but eh.. nah.

Last night I wasn't feeling well, so I mostly left getting him to bed to my husband. By 10:30pm though, I realized I hadn't given him the proper "tools" to make it happen. You can't just yell at him to go back to bed. Well, technically you can, but it doesn't work.

Jedi Mind Tricks, folks. They will make you prosper.

No comments:

Post a Comment